This township comprises territory originally included in McCandless, Indiana and West Deer. It is regular in outline, and nearly a perfect square, being in length about four miles and forty perches, and in breadth three miles and two hundred and eighteen perches. The movement for its erection began at the June term, 1860, when a petition with this end in view was referred to the consideration of John Dickey, James Taylor and C. Sniveley. They surveyed the boundaries of the proposed territory, and made return thereof to the court under date of November 13, 1860. June 19, 1861, the question was submitted to popular vote, when the action of the commissioners was ratified by a majority of one hundred and one, there being but twelve dissenting votes. The final decree of court erecting Hampton was issued February 16, 1861. The present eastern boundary was established at the April sessions, 1862, by the annexation of a narrow strip of territory from Indiana. Of Hon. Moses Hampton, LL. D. , in whose honor the township is named, an account is given in the chapter on Bench and Bar, pages 259, 260.