Source Detail

Detail

Title Person(s) Vol. Page(s) Date 1 Date 2
CHAPTER X. Bell, H. C. 2 115–116

Source

Abbreviation Type Citation
Cushing 1889 county histories Cushing, Thomas, ed. History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania: including its early settlement and progress to the present time; a description of its historic and interesting localities; its cities, towns and villages; religious, educational, social and military history; mining, manufacturing and commercial interests; improvements, resources, statistics, etc.; also portraits of some of its prominent men, and biographies of many of its representative citizens. In two parts. Chicago, Ill.: A. Warner & Co., 1889.

Summarized Source Data

Type Summary
Text September 6, 1792: 'According to a petition made by a number of the inhabitants of Pittsburgh, read at June sessions, 1792, and laid over till September: 'Ordered, That so much of Pitt township as lies within the following boundaries, that is to say, beginning at the point or confluence of the rivers Monongahela and Allegheny, and turning up the margin of Monongahela to the Two-Mile run, thence up said run to the head thereof, thence by a due north course to strike the Two-Mile run that empties into Allegheny river, thence down the said Allegheny to the place of beginning, be and the same is erected into a new township called Pittsburgh township.' This is the earliest mention of a reduction in the original area of Pitt township. In 1796, by the erection of Pine and Deer, its territory was restricted to the triangle between the Monongahela and Allegheny rivers. Pittsburgh became a city in 1816, when a still farther encroachment was made upon the western border of Pitt; and five years later Wilkins was formed from its eastern portion. Other subdivisions of its territory were made from time to time, until Pitt township, which once embraced half a score of counties, was obliterated from the map of Allegheny county. That part of its territory in 1796 not included in the city limits at the present time was erected into Wilkins township November 10, 1821, by decree of court confirming a line of division viewed by Robert Beatty, Joseph Reed and Dunning McNair. Of its present boundaries, that on the east was established in June, 1789, when Thompson's run instead of Brush creek became the line of division between Pitt and Plum; that on the north in 1850, when Penn was erected; that on the west in 1879, by the erection of Sterrett; and that on the south in 1885, by the erection of Braddock.

Calculated URL

URL
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/loc.ark:/13960/t02z1xd8v?urlappend=%3Bview=1up%3Bseq=887

Event Links

Detail Type Description Successful? Date
View Boundary Realignment Pitt Township-Plum Township 1789 Boundary Realignment yes* Jun 1789
View New Township Pittsburgh Township 1792 Creation yes+ Sep 6, 1792
View New Township Beaver Township-Deer Township-Pine Township 1796 Creation yes+ Jun 1796
View New City Pittsburgh City 1816 Creation yes Jul 9, 1816
View New Township Wilkins Township 1821 Creation yes* Nov 10, 1821
View New Name McNair Township 1850 Creation yes* Aug 31, 1850
View New Township Sterrett Township 1879 Creation yes* Sep 13, 1879
View New Township Braddock Township 1885 Creation yes Mar 9, 1885