January 12, 1875, a petition of citizens of Robinson, North Fayette and South Fayette was presented in court, praying for a redistribution of the territory comprised within their limits, whereupon J. B. Stilley, Capt. John Gilfillan and Alexander D. Burns were appointed to the usual service of taking the matter into consideration. Under date of February 26, 1875, they reported in favor of forming a new township from the contiguous portions of Robinson and South Fayette, one-third and one-fourth of their respective areas, with about a half square mile from North Fayette, to constitute the new division. At an election May 11, 1875, the measure thus proposed was adopted by a majority of sixty-six in a total vote of one hundred and ninety. June 7, 1875, by decree of court, the new township was erected and its organization forthwith ordered. The name was conferred in compliment to Hon. Frederick H. Collier, of the common pleas bench of the county courts.