||Robinson township was erected from the northern part of the original territory of Fayette in 1801, and the latter, as thus reduced, comprised the whole of North and South Fayette and a portion of Collier. This condition of things did not long continue when a disposition to effect a change was manifested. At the April sessions, 1809, Robert Johnson, John Vance, Francis Leavitt,Daniel South, Moses Coulter and David Herriott were appointed by the court of quarter sessions to inquire into the propriety of dividing Fayette. August 14, 1809, their report was submitted, Robinson's run being recommended as the line of division. The matter was held under advisement until the November term, 1810, when Nathaniel Plummer, Sr., James Brison, David Kennedy, Peter Traugh, Henry Beltzhoover and Isaac Williams were appointed a second commission of inquiry. January 13, 1811, they reported adversely to the necessity of division. It does not appear that the question was again agitated until the March sessions, 1840, when, upon the representations of certain citizens of the township that it was fourteen miles long and seven miles wide, and that great inconvenience was thereby occasioned, Hugh Davis, Thomas Gibson and H. L. Magraw were commissioned to take the matter into consideration. They reported favorably to division, but with such modifications of the plans suggested by the petitioners that the confirmation of their action was strongly remonstrated against. The case was continued from time to time, and the division finally consummated by decree of court, March 16, 1842.